Serbian People's Party (2014)
The Serbian People's Party (Serbian: Српска народна партија, romanized: Srpska narodna partija; abbr. СНП or SNP) is a national-conservative political party in Serbia, formed in 2014 by former members of the Democratic Party of Serbia and is currently led by Nenad Popović.
|General Secretary||Jovan Palalić|
|Founded||21 September 2014|
|Split from||Democratic Party of Serbia|
|Headquarters||Ustanička 65/5, Belgrade|
|National affiliation||For Our Children|
3 / 250
History and ideology
The SNP was founded in September 2014 in the village of Kriva Reka in the Zlatibor region. Its founding members included Popović, Jovan Palalić, Milan Stamatović (who left the party two years later), and the political philosopher Bogdana Koljević. The party favors closer ties between Serbia and Russia and opposes Serbian membership in the European Union.
The party's first member of the assembly was Milan Petrić, who had been elected on the list of the Democratic Party in the 2014 election and joined the SNP in March 2015. The SNP subsequently contested the 2016 election on the Progressive Party's Aleksandar Vučić – Serbia Is Winning electoral list and elected three members to the assembly: Jovan Palalić, Ognjen Pantović, and Snežana Petrović.
Popović, who has been the SNP's leader since its founding, was appointed to a ministerial position on June 29, 2017.
|Year||Popular vote||% of popular vote||# of seats||Seat change||Coalition||Status|
3 / 250
3 / 250
|Election year||#||Candidate||1st round votes||%||2nd round votes||%||Notes|
|2017||1st||Aleksandar Vučić||2,012,788||55.05%||—||—||Government coalition|
- Stojić, Marko (2017). Party Responses to the EU in the Western Balkans. Springer. p. 134.
- "The state of global right-wing populism in 2019". Quartz. 30 December 2019.
- "SRPSKA NARODNA PARTIJA: Vodi se agresivna kampanja protiv Rusije i Putina". kurir.rs (in Serbian). Kurir. 10 July 2020.
- "New Serbian centre-right party founded," British Broadcasting Corporation Monitoring European, 24 September 2014 (Source: Blic website, Belgrade, in Serbian 0000 gmt 21 Sep 14).
- "Serbian party leader upholds energy projects with 'strategic' partner Russia," British Broadcasting Corporation Monitoring European, 4 March 2015 (Source: Dnevnik, Novi Sad, in Serbian 28 Feb 15).
- "Russians are the only true friends of Serbia - Serbian People’s Party," ITAR-TASS World Service, 23 October 2015.
- "Serbian paper says voters do not want to see pro-Russian parties in power," British Broadcasting Corporation Monitoring European, 19 January 2016.
- SNP Nenada Popovića postala parlamentarna partija, Politika, 22 March 2015, accessed 9 May 2018.