Springfield Park (Wigan)

Springfield Park was a multi-purpose stadium in Wigan, Greater Manchester. It was the home ground of Wigan Athletic F.C. until the club moved to the new JJB Stadium (now DW Stadium) after the 1998–99 season. At its largest, the stadium held 40,000. In its 102-year existence the ground only saw 32 years as a Football League venue, 11 years for Wigan Borough F.C. and 21 years for Wigan Athletic FC, before it was demolished to make way for a housing estate in 1999.

Springfield Park
The Town End at Springfield Park in 1982
LocationWigan
OwnerThe Wigan Trotting and Athletic Grounds Company Ltd. (1896–1899)
The Royal London Friendly Society. (1899–)
Wigan Athletic (1932–1999)
Capacity40 000 (maximum)
SurfaceGrass
Construction
Opened1897
Closed1999
Demolished1999
Construction cost£16 000
ArchitectRichardson Thomas Johnson
BuilderWinnard and Weston
Tenants
Wigan Athletic (1932–1999)
Wigan County (1897–1900)
Wigan United (1901–1903)
Wigan Town (1905–1908)
Wigan Borough (1919–1932)
Wigan Warriors (1901–1902)
Springfield Borough (1987–1988)

The stadium had previously been home to Wigan County, Wigan United, Wigan Town, and Wigan Borough (previously Wigan United and Wigan Association) as well as Wigan and Springfield Borough rugby league sides. It was also used for horse trotting, as a track cycling velodrome, for wrestling and for athletics.

Springfield Park was designed by architect Richardson Thomas Johnson and built in 1897 at a cost of £16,000. It was owned by The Wigan Trotting and Athletic Grounds Company Ltd. The first professional football match at the stadium took place in September 1897 when Wigan County played Burton Swifts in a friendly match.[1]


Share this article:

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Springfield Park (Wigan), and is written by contributors. Text is available under a CC BY-SA 4.0 International License; additional terms may apply. Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.