Stutthof concentration camp
Stutthof was a Nazi concentration camp established by Nazi Germany in a secluded, marshy, and wooded area near the small town of Stutthof (now Sztutowo) 34 km (21 mi) east of the city of Danzig in the territory of the Free City of Danzig. The camp was set up around existing structures after the invasion of Poland in World War II and initially used for the imprisonment of Polish leaders and intelligentsia. The actual barracks were built the following year by prisoners.
|Nazi concentration camp|
|Operated by||German government|
|Commandant||Max Pauly, September 1939 – August 1942|
Paul-Werner Hoppe, August 1942 – January 1945
|Operational||2 September 1939 – 9 May 1945|
|Inmates||Jews and political prisoners|
|Number of inmates||110,000|
|Killed||63,000 - 65,000 (including 28,000 Jews)|
|Liberated by||Red Army|
Stutthof was the first German concentration camp set up outside German borders in World War II, in operation from 2 September 1939. It was also the last camp liberated by the Allies, on 9 May 1945. It is estimated that between 63,000 and 65,000 prisoners of Stutthof concentration camp and its subcamps died as a result of murder, starvation, epidemics, extreme labour conditions, brutal and forced evacuations, and a lack of medical attention. Some 28,000 of those who died were Jews. In total, as many as 110,000 people were deported to the camp in the course of its existence. About 24,600 were transferred from Stutthof to other locations.