Stylist is a magazine for women that is published in the United Kingdom since 7 October 2009. There is currently a weekly digital edition and a monthly print edition, both of which are available via subscriptions.
(January – June 2019)
|First issue||7 October 2009|
|Company||The Stylist Group|
Ella Dolphin is CEO, and Lisa Smosarski is Editor-in-Chief. Stylist was previously published by Shortlist Media Ltd, and after the closure of the print edition of ShortList, 'Shortlist Media Ltd' rebranded as 'The Stylist Group'.
Audience and content
Stylist targets affluent 20 to 40-year-old female commuters with high end content that includes fashion, travel, beauty, people and careers news. The magazine aims to take an intelligent approach, covering a broader range of culture and tackling issues women face in their professional and personal lives.
Stylist has featured Hollywood stars Angelina Jolie, Penélope Cruz, Jennifer Lopez and Jennifer Aniston on the cover as well as Hillary Clinton, comedian Tina Fey, activist X González and classicist Mary Beard. Stylist has commissioned children's author and illustrator Quentin Blake and artist Rob Ryan to create bespoke front covers.
Stylist hosts regular Stylist Network Events, including Stylist Live, which includes career-focused talks with business entrepreneurs, as well as curated shopping and fitness workouts, where an average of 200 Stylist readers buy tickets to attend the London-based sessions.
Distribution and expansion
Stylist is distributed free every Wednesday in London, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool and Birmingham, as well as in French Connection stores, airport lounges, city centre offices and gyms. It is also available by subscription, on Apple News and via the app.
In September 2010 Stylist launched its website, the online home of Stylist Magazine, featuring all of the latest lifestyle, fashion, beauty, travel, wellness & entertainment news, all through a feminist lens.
In April 2013, Stylist launched a weekly edition in France, in a joint venture between Groupe Marie Claire and Shortlist Media. The magazine is distributed free every Thursday in nine cities including Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Aix‐en‐Provence, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Nantes, Lille and Strasbourg.
Stylist magazine was previously available in a tablet edition, but this was discontinued in 2016 after the closure of Apple Newsstand.
In early 2021 Stylist launched a paid content fitness platform Training Club, offering 1 and 12 month subscription options. It offers various training plans at beginner, intermediate and expert levels.
An online version of the digital magazine was launched mid-2021 to help readers access the content during the COVID-19 pandemic. It offers 3, 6 and 12 month subscription options.
- Launch of the Year 2010, BSME
- Media Woman of the Future: Stylist's editor Lisa Smosarski, Women of the Future Awards
- New Product of the Year 2010, Growing Business Awards
- Brand of 2010, Brand Republic
- Winner of Johnson & Johnson Best Weekly Beauty Journalist
- "Stylist". ABC. 2019. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- Shortlist’s free women’s weekly launches, Marketing Week
- Stylist revealed as ShortList's brand for women's free mag, Media Week
- ShortList shuts in print as publisher rebrands as The Stylist Group
- Stylist magazine storms on to free title scene, PR Week
- Stylist magazine celebrates first year's worth of covers, Campaign Live
- Stylist lines up Quentin Blake as new cover star, guardian.co.uk
- Mag ABCs: Cosmopolitan and Glamour suffer sales falls, Press Gazette
- Stylist launches website with daily content, Campaign Live
- Stylist Magazine, Newstand
- Need to Know: Emerald Street, Gorkanapr
- Shortlist Media to launch French edition of Stylist
- Popular tablet edition of Stylist magazine scrapped after closure of Apple Newsstand leaves it 'high and dry'
- Tobbitt, Charlotte (23 March 2020). "Coronavirus: Time Out and Stylist free magazines go digital-only as readers stay home". Press Gazette. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- BSME Awards 2010
- Women of the Future Awards 2010
- Growing Business Awards 2010
- Brand of 2010, Brand Republic
- Johnson & Johnson Beauty Care Awards 2010