Table of political parties in Europe by pancontinental organisation
The majority of major local or national political parties in Europe have aligned themselves into one of the pan-European political organizations.
As of February 2020[update], there are 10 registered Europarties
In October 2014, the regulation (EU, EURATOM) No 1141/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the statute and funding of European political parties and European political foundations lays down the conditions governing the statute and funding of political parties at European level ('European political parties') and political foundations at European level ('European political foundations'). Chapters of this regulations focus on status, funding, control and sanctions.
Political parties in Europe
The Nordic Green Left Alliance is a transnational federation of parties, not a pan-European political party per se, but it articulates a broadly uniform ideology and its membership is exclusive to it. As such, it is treated akin to one here.
Parties represented in national parliaments or the European Parliament are generally included in the below chart, while independents have been omitted. Great ideological diversity can be found in most pan-European organizations, and individual country rows may not correspond with the heuristic left-right spectrum commonly used within its own political discourse.
- Standalone parties with representation in the European Parliament are coloured by the parliamentary group in which they sit. These are:
- Standalone parties with representation in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (but not the European Parliament) are coloured by the parliamentary group in which they sit in the former. These are:
EPP PES ALDE ECG EUL Non-Attached
- The "Standalone parties of the political centre" column includes some single-interest parties that claim to draw support from all across the spectrum.
- † indicates the party has observer or associate status within transnational organization
- National parties are sorted by the alignment adopted by the party's leadership; in some cases MEPs have chosen to sit in different groups within the EP.
- The pan-European party Volt Europa is not shown in this table as it has national sections in several European countries; it is currently part of the Greens-European Free Alliance group in the European Parliament.
- "List of registered European Political Parties". Authority for European Political Parties and European Political Foundations.
- "List of registered European Political Parties". appf.
- "Removed from the Register|Parties and Foundations|Authority for European Political Parties and European Political Foundations". appf.
- regulation (EU, EURATOM) No 1141/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the statute and funding of European political parties and European political foundations