Tax Justice Network
|Formation||March 2003 formal|
November 2002 informal
|Focus||tax avoidance, tax competition, tax evasion, and tax havens.|
|Headquarters||38 Stanley Avenue, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, HP5 2JG, United Kingdom.|
|Part of a series on|
|An aspect of fiscal policy|
The TJN has reported on the OECD Base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS) projects and conducted their own research that the scale of corporate taxes being avoided by multinationals is an estimated $660bn in 2012 (a quarter of US multinationals’ gross profits), which is equivalent to 0.9% of World GDP.
In July 2012, following a study into wealthy individuals with offshore accounts, the Tax Justice Network published claims regarding deposits worth at least $21 trillion (£13 trillion), potentially even $32 trillion, in secretive tax havens. As a result, governments suffer a lack of income taxes of up to $280 billion.
Financial Secrecy Index
The Financial Secrecy Index is a biennial publication of the TJN which was started in 2009 and was last released in February 2020. It covers 133 global jurisdictions and produces a "Secrecy Indicator" score for each based on 20 qualitative criteria. Releases are widely covered in the media.
Corporate Tax Haven Index
The Corporate Tax Haven Index is a biennial publication of the TJN which had its inaugural publication in May 2019. It covers 64 global jurisdictions and produces a “Corporate Tax Haven Index” value by combining two core measures; first a Haven Score based on 20 mostly tax related criteria, second a Global Scale Weight showing the scale of activity. Release are widely covered in the media.
Experts of TJN appeared at public hearings of the Finance Committee of the German Bundestag in 2016.
- Offshore financial centre
- Corporate tax haven
- Tax haven
- Financial Secrecy Index
- Base erosion and profit shifting
- Sol Picciotto
- Nicholas Shaxson
- Richard Murphy (tax campaigner)
- Prem Sikka, Baron Sikka
- Civil Society
- Ireland as a tax haven
- Tax Foundation
- "Happy Birthday Tax Justice Network". TJN. 9 November 2012.
- "Core Funding Prospectus 2018–2021" (PDF). Tax Justice Network. 2018. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "Tax Avoidance Costing U.S. $189 Billion: Tax Justice Network". Bloomberg News. 23 March 2017.
- "Base Erosion and Profit Shifting BEPS". Tax Justice Network. 2015.
- "13 trillion pounds in offshore tax havens: Report". The Times of India. 22 July 2012. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Super rich hold $32 trillion in offshore havens". Reuters. 22 July 2012. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Tax havens: Super-rich 'hiding' at least $21tn". BBC. 22 July 2012. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "The State of Tax Justice 2020" (PDF). Tax Justice Network. 20 November 2020.
- "$427bn a year lost to tax abuse by firms and rich individuals, study finds". The Guardian. 20 November 2020.
- "Financial Secrecy Index 2020 Results". Tax Justice Network. 18 February 2020.
- "Report Says U.S. Is World's Second-Biggest Tax Haven". Bloomberg News. 30 January 2018.
- "U.S. Becomes World's Second-Biggest Tax Haven". Wall Street Journal. 30 January 2018.
- "UN urged to launch global effort to end offshore tax evasion". The Guardian. 30 January 2018.
- "Australia a safe haven for illicit funds, but Switzerland the world's worst". Sydney Morning Herald. 31 January 2018.
- "Corporate Tax Haven Index 2019 Results". Tax Justice Network. 28 May 2019.
- "UK and territories are 'greatest enabler' of tax avoidance, study says". The Guardian. 28 May 2019.
- "Channel Islands 'among worst tax havens' worldwide". BBC. 28 May 2019.
- "U.K. Islands Unravel Global Corporate Tax Order, Group Says". Bloomberg Tax. 28 May 2019.
- "Round-Up of Transparify 2018 Ratings". Transparify. Retrieved 7 July 2019.
- "Tax Justice Network | Who Funds You?". whofundsyou.org. Retrieved 7 July 2019.
- "Öffentliche Sitzung des Finanzausschusses" (in German). German Bundestag. 15 June 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2017.