Template:In the news
- Flooding (damage pictured) in western Maharashtra, India, results in more than 250 deaths.
- The Saint Lucia Labour Party wins the general election, and Philip Pierre becomes prime minister.
- The 2020 Summer Olympics open in Tokyo, Japan.
- The Australian city of Brisbane is announced as the host city of the 2032 Summer Olympics.
- In sumo, Terunofuji Haruo becomes the 73rd yokozuna.
- Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City in England is stripped of its status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to modern development in the area.
|In the news toolbox|
"In the news" mentions and links to entries of timely interest – encyclopedia articles that have been updated to reflect an important current event – rather than conventional news items. To prevent vandalism on the Main Page, it is a permanently protected template. See Wikipedia:In the news for more details.
See an error? Please note it on Wikipedia:Main Page/Errors for administrator assistance.
The template accepts one parameter: adding
|nocurrenteventslink=1 removes the link to Portal:Current events. This is used on the current events page to hide the link there.
Admins: After updating please purge the cache of the Main Page so that the updated version appears.
In terms of Main Page balance, right now we're configured for widescreen monitors, which it appears most editors use. Non-widescreen users, please do not change the balance even if it looks off on your monitor.