The Best of R.E.M.
The Best of R.E.M. is a greatest hits album by R.E.M. released in 1991, shortly after the success of the band's seventh studio album, Out of Time, released by Warner Bros. The Best of R.E.M., however, was released by the band's previous record label, I.R.S. Records, and only includes tracks from their first five albums while the group was with that label. As such, it covers their output from 1982 to 1987.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)
|The Best of R.E.M.|
|Greatest hits album by|
|Released||September 30, 1991|
|Language||English, French ("Talk About the Passion")|
|Producer||Mitch Easter, Don Dixon, Joe Boyd, Don Gehman, Scott Litt, R.E.M.|
|R.E.M. compilations chronology|
The Best of R.E.M. was only issued in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, Brazil and Chile, complete with liner notes from Remarks: The Story of R.E.M. by Tony Fletcher (a domestic American greatest hits album had been released prior with a very similar track list titled Eponymous). It has no alternate mixes (unlike Eponymous); all the songs are the album versions.
"A considerable improvement on the useful but haphazard Eponymous collection," wrote Dan Maier in a 5/5 review for Select. "It'll be a few years before Warners release their own 'Best Of'. In the meantime, this'll do very nicely indeed."
- "Carnival of Sorts (Box Cars)" (from Chronic Town) – 3:51
- "Radio Free Europe" (from Murmur) – 4:03
- "Perfect Circle" (from Murmur) – 3:23
- "Talk About the Passion" (from Murmur) – 3:22
- "So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)" (from Reckoning) – 3:11
- "(Don't Go Back To) Rockville" (from Reckoning) – 4:34
- "Pretty Persuasion" (from Reckoning) – 3:53
- "Green Grow the Rushes" (from Fables of the Reconstruction) – 3:42
- "Cant Get There from Here" (from Fables of the Reconstruction) – 4:10
- "Driver 8" (from Fables of the Reconstruction) – 3:18
- "Fall On Me" (from Lifes Rich Pageant) – 2:49
- "I Believe" (from Lifes Rich Pageant) – 3:32
- "Cuyahoga" (from Lifes Rich Pageant) – 4:17
- "The One I Love" (from Document) – 3:17
- "Finest Worksong" (from Document) – 3:48
- "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" (from Document) – 4:07
|BPI - UK||Gold|