The Courier (Dundee)
The Courier (known as The Courier & Advertiser between 1926 and 2012) is a newspaper published by DC Thomson in Dundee, Scotland. As of 2013, it is printed in six regional editions: Dundee, Angus & The Mearns, Fife, West Fife, Perthshire, and Stirlingshire. However, by 2020 this had been reduced to three regional editions for Perth and Perthshire; Angus and Dundee and Fife. In the months July to December 2019 the average daily circulation of the Courier was 30,179 copies.
The digital version of the 15 February 2013 Perth edition of the Courier.
|Format||Tabloid (since 2012, previously broadsheet)|
|Headquarters||Dundee, Scotland, UK|
|Circulation||45,064 (January - June 2015, 99.5% paid)|
Established in 1801 as the Dundee Courier & Argus, the entire front page of The Courier used to contain classified advertisements – a traditional newspaper format for many years. In 1809 it was taken over by Robert Rintoul who used the paper to campaign for political reform, and criticism of local politicians such as Alexander Riddoch.
In 1926, during the General Strike The Courier was merged with The Advertiser. From the 10 May to 28 May 1926, the paper adopted the headline-news format of The Advertiser, before reverting to its previous format which it maintained until 1992. The next major change to the newspaper came on 21 January 2012, when it changed to a compact format, having previously existed as a broadsheet. Editor Richard Neville said the move represented the "dawn of a new era" and that the company was "investing in new sections, increasing content across the title and investing significantly in resources." Just over a year later, a digital version of the newspaper was launched. In 2016, the year of its bicentenary, The Courier was named the UK Regional Newspaper of the Year.
Historical copies of the Dundee Courier, dating back to 1844, are available to search and view in digitised form at The British Newspaper Archive.
- "UK Regional daily newspaper circulations for the first half of 2015 (Source: ABC)". Press Gazette. UK. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Dundee Courier makes move to compact". BBC News. 16 January 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "The Courier". British Newspapers Online. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "The Courier". DC Thomson & Co Ltd. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "Dundee - The Courier". trust in media. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- Enid Gauldie (1989). "One Artful and Ambitious Individual: Alexander Riddoch (1745-1822) (Provost of Dundee 1787-1819)" (PDF). Abertay Historical Society.
- "Baldwin's Call to the Nation". British Newspaper Archive. 10 May 1926.
- Sarah Bould (16 January 2012). "Second regional Scottish title to go compact". holdthefrontpage.co.uk. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "The Courier newspaper marks its 50,000th edition". BBC. 4 November 2013. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "The Courier celebrates 200 years". DC Thomson & Co Ltd. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "Results | Dundee Courier | Publication | British Newspaper Archive". www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk.