The El Dorado
The El Dorado (also spelled the Eldorado) is a cooperative apartment building at 300 Central Park West, between 90th and 91st Streets adjacent to Central Park, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City. It was constructed from 1929 to 1931 and was designed by architect of record Margon & Holder and consulting architect Emery Roth in the Art Deco style. The El Dorado is 30 stories tall, with twin towers rising from a 19-story base. The building is a contributing property to the Central Park West Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as well as a New York City designated landmark.
The El Dorado
NYC Landmark No. 1521
|Architectural style||Art Deco|
|Part of||Central Park West Historic District (ID82001189)|
|Added to NRHP||November 9, 1982|
|Designated NYCL||July 9, 1985|
The base contains several small setbacks to comply with the 1916 Zoning Resolution. Two towers rise from the eastern portion of the base above the 19th story. On Central Park West, the first three stories are clad in cast stone, and the main entrance consists of three angular bronze archways. The remainder of the facade is made of tan and brown brick, which are arranged to emphasize the vertical lines of the facade. Some of the upper-story apartments contain angular stone balconies, and the tops of the towers are ornamented with sculpted finials. When the El Dorado opened, it contained 200 apartments with 1,500 rooms, though some apartments have since been split or combined. The main lobby is decorated in marble, and a gym in the building's two basement levels was added in the 1990s.
The El Dorado replaced a pair of apartments that were built in 1902 and also known as the El Dorado. The current apartment complex was constructed from 1929 to 1931 by developer Louis Klosk, who was unable to complete the building after the Wall Street Crash of 1929. The Central Park Plaza Corporation bought the El Dorado at a foreclosure auction in 1931. The corporation was taken over by the Pick Hotels Corporation in 1943, then by Hugh K. McGovern in January 1953. The building was then sold in May 1953 to pastor Charles M. "Daddy" Grace, whose estate sold the building in 1960 to Alexander Gross. In July 1982, the El Dorado became a housing cooperative and several parts of the building were upgraded, despite disagreement among tenants.