The Grantville Gazettes
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Genre||Alternate History, Anthology|
|Semi-periodic, and Periodic (bi-monthly)|
Various dates from
February 2003 and
(in print as books)
|Media type||e-zine and ebook|
Paperback and hardcover
|Pages||Grantville Gazette I,|
361 pp (first edition)
|Preceded by||Ring of Fire (anthology)|
|Followed by||Grantville Gazette II|
The Gazettes started as an experiment: a professionally edited, officially sanctioned "fan magazine" published electronically. Initially released as serialized e-magazines, they were later published as e-books (taking a page from the Baen Books experience with E-ARCs—Electronic Advance Reader Copies, which had been instituted several years earlier.) Because the electronic sales were successful, Baen contracted with Flint for more issues, to be published 3-4 times per year (bimonthly, starting in 2007). Each would form part of the canonical background for the other works (novels and anthologies) in the rapidly growing 1632 series.
As of mid-2012, e-magazines are published bimonthly, and six books have been published (five of those as both hardcover and mass market paperback) excerpted from the first 17 issues of the magazine. A seventh book is promised.
Starting in November 2004, the first Gazette was also released experimentally in a paper edition with issue I as a paperback. The second volume was released in hardcover in March 2006, this and subsequent titles use Roman Numerals for titles such as are listed below in the section List of Gazettes, as appear on the print publication covers.
Each print edition contains an additional story that was not published in any e-magazine. Starting with volume V, each print edition contains stories from several of the magazines, and not all magazine stories are published in the books. The List of Gazettes section below gives the publication dates and a rough guide to which magazines are collected into particular books.
|Print title||Publication date||ISBN||e-Vols covered||Additional Flint story|
|Grantville Gazette I||November 2004||0-7434-8860-1||Whole issue 1||Portraits|
|Grantville Gazette II||March 2006||1-4165-2051-1||Whole issue 2||Steps In The Dance|
|Grantville Gazette III||January 2007||1-4165-0941-0||Whole issue 3||Postage Due|
|Grantville Gazette IV||June 2008||1-4165-5554-4||Whole issue 4||The Anatomy Lesson|
|Grantville Gazette V||August 2009||1-4391-3279-8||From issues 5–10||Steady Girl|
|Grantville Gazette VI||January 2012||1-4516-3853-1||From issues 11–19||The Masque|
|Grantville Gazette VII||April 2015||978-1476780290||From issues 20–30||An Aukward Situation|
|Grantville Gazette VIII||June 2018||978-1481483292||From issues 31–45||Descartes Before the Whores|
|Grantville Gazette IX||July 2021||978-1982125455||From issues 46–64||Nasty, Brutish and Short|
Overall literary criticism and reception of the printed versions
Sales of the printed versions of the Grantville Gazette I and Grantville Gazette II were high enough to have these issues listed on the Locus (magazine) Bestsellers Lists with Volume I topping at number 9 in 2005 for Paperbacks and Volume II at 10 in 2006 for Hardcovers respectively.
Overall, most reviewers wrote favorable reviews while only a small number were negative. A reviewer for Booklist wrote that "Flint's 1632 universe seems to be inspiring a whole new crop of gifted alternate historians."
Reception of printed volumes that do not have their own page yet
Grantville Gazette IV
The reviewer for Observe and See wrote that the printed version of the Grantville Gazette IV is "It is every bit as enjoyable as the other editions" and reviewed each story in this edition. The reviewer for The Billion Light-Year Bookshelf wrote extensive individual reviews for each of the included stories. The reviewer also noted that one of the stories from the Gazette was a part of the backstory of one of the novels that she had previously reviewed.
Grantville Gazette V
The reviewer for Booklist wrote that the printed edition of the Grantville Gazette V "add[s] dimensions to Flint's singular alternate-history creation." The reviewer for The Billion Light-Year Bookshelf wrote individual reviews for each of the included stories. Most were positive, however she did warn the reader that at least one story could be incomprehensible unless the reader have already read most of the books in the series.
Grantville Gazette VI
The reviewer for the San Francisco Book Review wrote that "all of the stories are well-written and peopled with fascinating characters." The reviewer for the Library Journal also gave a positive review.
Grantville Gazette VII
The reviewer for the SFRevu wrote that "The stories run quite a gamut. There are mysteries, action adventure, and little bit of rewritten history." Some of the stories are quirky and that "the characters have a sense of humor" while some of the other "stories aren't all humorous, they also deal with subjects related to inequality and opportunity. The reviewer also wrote that "Another really good part of the series, is the serious discussion of technology and how old technologies can be recreated until the equipment needed to build the modern technology is available." The reviewer also states that "The Gazette has been a pipeline for developing authors." The reviewer for the Midwest Book Review wrote that the book "provides a lively set of vignettes and tales that juxtapose well with the primary books in the series and fill in many gaps with new stories and new information".
The Ring of Fire Press
Many of the continuing serials have been republished as single volume collections by the publishers of the Gazette through their own Ring of Fire Press to make the material easier to access by its readers by not having its readers search through various Gazette back issues to access a previous episode of a particular serial.
Short story awards
|2016||The Winter Canvas: A Daniel Block Story||Meriah L. Crawford and Robert E. Waters||67|
|2017||The Long Road Home, Part 2||Nick Lorance||69|
|2018||Requiem For the Future||David Carrico||76|
|2019||Clique, Clique, Boom||Bjorn Hasseler||82|
Jim Baen's Universe
Starting with magazine issue #19, another Baen magazine was merged into the Grantville Gazette. For the next ten issues, there was no change in the Gazettes beyond a dual title on the title page. In magazine issue #30, Eric Flint introduced the "Universe Annex" to the Grantville Gazette featuring a story slot and columns from Jim Baen's Universe.
List of Gazettes
- Ring of Fire (anthology)
- Ring of Fire II (anthology)
- Ring of Fire III (anthology)
- 1634: The Ram Rebellion (melded novel/anthology)
- 1635: The Tangled Web (melded novel/anthology)
- 1636: The Kremlin Games (serialized novel)
- "Uchronia: The Assiti Shards (1632) Series". www.uchronia.net.
- "Fantastic Fiction.com The Grantville Gazettes Series".
- "Ring of Fire Series". Baen Books. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Virginia DeMarce (February 8, 2012). "1632 Tech: Virginia's Grid of Uptime Characters". Baen Books. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on August 11, 2004. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on January 16, 2006. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on January 14, 2007. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on March 9, 2008. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on June 28, 2009. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on January 21, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on January 18, 2015. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Retrieved March 16, 2018.[dead link]
- "Publishing Schedule". Baen Books. Archived from the original on December 31, 2020. Retrieved December 31, 2020.
- "Locus Bestsellers, February 2005". Locus. February 2005.
- "Locus Bestsellers, March 2005". Locus. March 2005.
- "Locus Bestsellers, June 2006". Locus. June 2006.
- Lardas, Mark (January 28, 2007). "Fiction has a wide range in anthology". The Galveston County Daily News. Archived from the original on July 16, 2011. Retrieved August 2, 2009.
- Lawhorn, Willian (December 26, 2006). "Grantville Gazette III by Eric Flint". SFRevu. Archived from the original on November 10, 2007. Retrieved August 2, 2009.
- "Grantville Gazette II – Eric Flint (Editor)". Rosboch Book Reviews. May 16, 2011.
- Green, Roland (January 1, 2007). "Grantville Gazette III". Booklist. 103 (9/10). p. 70. EBSCOhost 23776766. Archived from the original on April 13, 2014.
- "Book Review: "Grantville Gazette IV" Edited by Eric Flint". Observe and See. September 22, 2012.
- Kimmel, Leigh (April 15, 2009). "Grantville Gazette IV by Eric Flint (editor)". Billion Light-Year Bookshelf.
- Green, Roland (August 1, 2009). "Grantville Gazette V". Booklist. 105 (22). p. 45. ISSN 0006-7385. EBSCOhost 44154131. Archived from the original on May 21, 2014.
- Kimmel, Leigh (June 7, 2011). "Grantville Gazette V by Eric Flint, ed". Billion Light-Year Bookshelf.
- Revers, Beth (January 3, 2012). "Grantville Gazette VI". San Francisco Book Review.
- Cassada, Jackie (January 2012). "Grantville Gazette VI: Sequels to 1632". Library Journal. 137 (1). p. 80. ISSN 0363-0277. EBSCOhost 70144687. Archived from the original on April 13, 2014.
- Lawhorn, Bill (March 29, 2016). "Grantville Gazette VII (The Ring of Fire)". SFRevu.
- "The Bookwatch". Midwest Book Review. June 2015.
- "Announcing Ring of Fire Press". Grantville Gazette. Vol. 48. July 1, 2013.
- Boyes, Walt (March 1, 2017). "Best of 2016 Award". Grantville Gazette. Vol. 70.
- Hasseler, Bjorn (November 1, 2017). "Best of 2017 Award". Grantville Gazette. Vol. 74.
- Boyes, Walt (May 1, 2018). "The Story So Far..." Grantville Gazette. Vol. 77.
- Hasseler, Bjorn (August 24, 2019). "Best of 2018". Grantville Gazette. Vol. 85.
- "Best of the Gazette 2019". Grantville Gazette. Vol. 89. May 2020.
- Flint, Eric, ed. (July 2010). "Introduction to the Universe Annex". Grantville Gazette 30. Baen Books.