Timeline of Indian startup ecosystem
The Indian startup ecosystem originated with software services startups serving Indian software needs, and later expanding to exporting software services. The next generation of Indian product startups had founders who had worked in these services startups, or were moving back from the Silicon Valley, having worked in product startups in the US. Venture capital investments were kicked off by TDICI, a government entity, followed by other investors from Silicon Valley.
The third wave of startups were founded in the dot-com era, included marketplaces, e-commerce vendors, and portals. The fourth wave started around 2007–2008, and comprised e-commerce, logistics, marketplaces, and advertising startups. These startups are regularly covered by the online media platforms, which focus on start-up coverage like 'YourStory' and NextBigWhat'.
In the 2010's, India saw a wave of SaaS companies being founded in India with products mainly sold to customers in the US and Europe. Notable examples include Freshworks, Chargebee, BrowserStack, CleverTap and Whatfix.
List of notable events
|1968||Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) started|
|1986||Tally Solutions started|
|1988||NASSCOM trade association founded|
|1988||First VC investment in India by TDICI|
|1992||i-Flex Solutions founded|
|1995||VSNL provides public Internet access|
|1996||Zoho Corporation founded|
|2006||InMobi founded as mKhoj|
|2008||Funding exceeds 1B in one year|
|2010||Freshworks (formerly Freshdesk) founded|
|2013||NASSCOM 10000 startups||]|
|2018||Flipkart acquired by Walmart|
- "A beginner's guide to college internships in India". Quartz (publication). 2015-07-03. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- "Swallow or Summer: Indian SaaS startups' $100m ARR dream". The Ken. 2019-07-24. Retrieved 2021-02-07.
- "Cyber Media (India) > Company History > Media & Entertainment > Company History of Cyber Media (India) - BSE: 532640, NSE: CYBERMEDIA". Moneycontrol.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "SS Goenka, founder of Tally Solutions, dies". CIOL. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC). "THE SOFTWARE JOURNEY OF INDIA AND THE ROAD GOING FORWARD | Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC)". Iaccindia.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "The Venture Capital Funds in India". Indianmba.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "i-flex solutions' Rajesh Hukku: 'No One Dreamed That $400,000 Would Become Almost $600 Million in 13 Years' - [email protected]". Knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu. 2007-03-23. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "VSNL starts India's first Internet service today". dxm.org. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "Global venture capital insights and trends report 2011 - Venture capital perspectives - India - EY - Global". EY. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Accel India: Decoding Founders' Mentality To Spin Success". Forbes India. Retrieved 2021-02-07.
- "Walmart acquires Flipkart for $16 billion in world's largest ecommerce deal". The Economic Times. 2018-05-09. Retrieved 2020-06-26.