Times Higher Education
Times Higher Education (THE), formerly The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES), is a magazine reporting specifically on news and issues related to higher education.
|First issue||October 1971 (as Times Higher Education Supplement)|
|Company||Inflexion Pvt. Equity Partners LLP|
TPG Capital acquired TSL Education from Charterhouse in a £400 million deal in July 2013 and rebranded TSL Education, of which Times Higher Education was a part, as TES Global. The acquisition by TPG marked the third change of ownership in less than a decade for Times Higher Education, which was previously owned by News International before being acquired by Exponent Private Equity in 2005.
In March 2019, private equity group Inflexion Pvt. Equity Partners LLP acquired Times Higher Education from TPG Capital, becoming THE's fourth owners in 15 years. Following the acquisition by the private equity group, Times Higher Education was carved out as an independent entity from TES Global. The investment was made by Inflexion's dedicated mid-market buyout funds.
The exclusive advisor for the acquisition by Inflexion was Houlihan Lokey, an investment company which has previously assisted several private equity groups acquire for-profit educational organisations. Post-acquisition, Houlihan Lokey noted that the existing Times Higher Education team will work to meet the demand for data and branding products, and look at cross-selling to existing clients.
From its first issue, in 1971, until 2008, The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) was published in newspaper format and was born out of, and affiliated with, The Times newspaper. On 10 January 2008, it was relaunched as a magazine. It is published by TES Global, which until October 2005 was a division of Rupert Murdoch's News International. The magazine is edited by John Gill. Phil Baty is the editor-at-large, and is responsible for international coverage. He is also the editor of the magazine's World University Rankings.
In 2011, Times Higher Education was awarded the titles of "Weekly Business Magazine of the Year" and "Media Business Brand of the Year" by the Professional Publishers Association.
In 2019, it was widely rumoured that Elsevier, who already partners with THE in order to compile their university rankings, was planning to take over Times Higher Education completely.
In August 2020, Times Higher Education announced partnerships with recruitment agency SI-UK and accommodation provider Casita, signalling its entry into the overseas student recruitment and student housing markets.
On 11 September 2020, Netherlands-based Studyportals announced that it had inked an agreement with Times Higher Education, which will see the Times Higher Education website’s student visitors directed to the Studyportals student recruitment platform whenever students look into courses run by universities that THE ranks in its World University Rankings.
Times Higher Education became known for publishing the annual Times Higher Education–QS World University Rankings, which first appeared in November 2004. On 30 October 2009 Times Higher Education broke with Quacquarelli Symonds, then its partner in compiling the Rankings, and signed an agreement with Thomson Reuters to provide the data instead. The magazine developed a new methodology in consultation with its readers and its editorial board and the results were published annually from autumn 2010 to 2013, when THE signed a new deal with Elsevier.
|2013||Asia University Rankings|
|2014||Emerging Economies University Rankings|
|2017||Japan University Rankings|
|2016||Latin America University Rankings|
|2011||World Reputation Rankings|
|2011||World University Rankings|
|2017||WSJ/THE College Rankings|
|2012||Young University Rankings|
Times Higher Education runs a series of summits, forums and symposiums throughout the year. Chaired by THE's editorial journalists, these events bring together global leaders and influencers from across academic, government and industry to debate, discuss and drive forward the future of higher education governance, innovation and research.
The magazine runs two sets of awards annually, the "Times Higher Education Awards" (launched in 2007) and the "Times Higher Education Awards Asia" (launched in 2019). The "Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards" (Thelmas) ran from 2011 to 2018.
|2020||University of Glasgow|
|2019||University of Strathclyde|
|2018||University of Essex|
|2017||Nottingham Trent University|
|2016||London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine|
|2014||Edge Hill University|
|2013||University of Huddersfield|
|2012||University of Strathclyde|
|2011||University of Sheffield|
|2010||University of York|
|2008||University of Leicester|
- Davies, Anjuli. "TPG to buy TSL Education for 400 million pounds". Reuters. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- Tezuka, Maera. "Inflexion purchases university data provider Times Higher Education". S&P Global Market Intelligence. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Farrell, Stephen. "Inflexion acquires higher education specialist". Insider Media. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Houlihan Lokey Advises Inflexion Private Equity Partners". Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "The inside story of Poppleton University". News – Press Releases. University of Leicester, UK. 31 October 2007. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "PPA Awards 2011". Archived from the original on 7 April 2013.
- Elsevier. "Discover the data behind the Times Higher Education World University Rankings". Elsevier Connect. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "RELX said to be planning £100mln takeover of Times Higher Education". Proactiveinvestors UK. 27 November 2018. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- Stacey, Viggo. "THE moves into international student services". The PIE News. Retrieved 19 August 2020.
- "Studyportals announces tie-up with THE". The PIE News. Retrieved 11 September 2020.
- Baty, Phil. "New data partner for World University Rankings". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "THE World University Rankings". Times Higher Education (THE). 19 September 2018. Retrieved 3 June 2021.
- "THE Events". Times Higher Education (THE). Retrieved 28 June 2021.
- "THE Leadership & Management Awards". Times Higher Education (THE). Retrieved 28 June 2021.