Tony Gallagher (editor)
Tony Gallagher (born 2 November 1963) is a British newspaper editor who is currently deputy editor of The Times.
|Born||2 November 1963|
|Education||Finchley Catholic High School|
Gallagher attended Finchley Catholic High School in north London and Bristol University and then City University London. He began his career as a trainee journalist at the Southern Evening Echo in Southampton in 1985, and then moved to the South West News Agency in Bristol in 1987. He joined Today in 1988, and then became a reporter at the Daily Mail in 1990.
He attracted attention for his Princess Diana-related exclusives. He later became news editor and finally assistant editor in 2006. He joined The Daily Telegraph in October 2006 as head of news and became deputy editor in September 2007.
As deputy editor, Gallagher took the lead on exclusives relating to the MPs' expenses scandal. In November 2009, he was promoted to editor.
Gallagher was appointed as the editor-in-chief of The Sun on 2 September 2015. He was appointed as the deputy editor of The Times effective 10 February 2020, as Victoria Newton succeeded him as The Sun's editor.
He is a fan of West Ham United, a team he came to support because his father worked in London's East End. He is married with three children.
- "Former Daily Telegraph editor Tony Gallagher returns to Daily Mail as joint deputy editor". Press Gazette. 16 April 2014.
- Ponsford, Dominic (2 September 2015). "Rebekah Brooks is back at News UK as chief exec, Tony Gallagher to edit The Sun". Press Gazette. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Gallagher, Tony (14 October 2011). "Witness Statement of Tony Gallagher" (PDF). Leveson Inquiry. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- James Robinson, "Profile: Tony Gallagher, Daily Telegraph editor", The Guardian, 30 November 2009
- Stephen Glover, "Stephen Glover: Telegraph's new hardman finishes Barclay revolution", The Independent, 30 November 2009
- Fred McConnell "Tony Gallagher exits as Daily Telegraph editor", The Guardian, 21 January 2013
- Tara Conlan and Lisa O'Carroll "Tony Gallagher appointed Daily Mail joint deputy editor", The Guardian, 16 April 2014
- Sweney, Mark; Greenslade, Roy (2 September 2015). "Rebekah Brooks' return confirmed as Tony Gallagher is named Sun editor". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Tony Gallagher, Daily Telegraph editor, on his beloved West Ham". salutsunderland.com. 4 December 2010.
| Deputy Editor of
The Daily Telegraph
| Editor of
The Daily Telegraph
(sole deputy editor)
| Joint Deputy Editor of the
| Editor of The Sun
| Deputy Editor of The Times