Tsarskoye Selo (Russian: Ца́рское Село́, IPA: [ˈtsarskəɪ sʲɪˈlo] (listen), "Tsar's Village") was the town containing a former residence of the Russian imperial family and visiting nobility, located 24 kilometers (15 mi) south from the center of Saint Petersburg. The residence now forms part of the town of Pushkin. Tsarskoye Selo forms one of the World Heritage site Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments.
The area of Tsarskoye Selo, once part of Swedish Ingria, first became a Russian royal/imperial residence in the early 18th century as an estate of the Empress-consort Catherine (later Empress-regnant as Catherine I (r. 1725–1727), from whom the Catherine Palace takes its name.
The Royal Forestry School, perhaps the first such school in Russia, was founded in Tsarskoye Selo in 1803; it was moved to Saint Petersburg in 1811, to become the Imperial Forestry Institute.
Nickname for elite Soviet neighborhoods
In the Soviet Union the nickname "the Czar's village" came to apply to blocks and small neighborhoods that housed the nomenklatura (Soviet elites). Their stores were better stocked, although they were still affected by Soviet-era shortages. The buildings in the neighborhoods were better designed, constructed and maintained. One such neighborhood, west of Moscow, contained less industry and more parks than any other neighborhood.
- Alexander Palace and associated park
- Catherine Palace and associated park
- Sophia Cathedral
- Tsarskoye Selo Lyceum
- Grotto pavilion in Catherine park of Tsarskoe Selo, Saint Petersburg, Russia
- The Catherine Palace, the Great Hall
- Fire in the Catherine Palace 1942
- Cameron Gallery Catherine Palace
- Jubilee Exhibition for the 200th anniversary of Tsarskoye Selo 1911
- Catherine Palace at the main entrance, September 9, 1911. Adolphe Kégresse seated behind the wheel of the Imperial "Benz"
- Catherine Park, Pavilion "Grotto" 1910
- Catherine Park, Pyramid 1910
- Catherine Park, Palladian Bridge
- Alexander Palace 1918
- "Chapel" in Alexander Park. 1897
- Large Chinese Bridge in Alexander Park 1910
- "Grand Caprice" in Alexander Park 1911
- Farm outbuilding with a tower in Alexander Park. 1910
- Tsarskoye Selo Imperial Station/ Emperor railway station in Pushkin town 1910s
- Jabado, Salwa; Fodor's (2008). Fodor's Moscow and St. Petersburg. New York: Random House. p. 292. ISBN 978-1-4000-0717-2.
- St. Petersburg Encyclopedia. Accessed: May 6, 2012.
Gessen, Masha (2017). The Future is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia. Granta Books. ISBN 9781783784011. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
Under the Soviets [...] the name 'the Czars' Village' began attaching itself to blocks and small neighborhoods that housed the Soviet elites.
The stores here were better stocked, even though they were affected by the shortages. The buildings were better designed and constructed.
- Masha Gessen, (2017). The Future Is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia.