Ukrayinska Pravda (Ukrainian: Українська правда, literally Ukrainian Truth) is a Ukrainian online newspaper founded by Georgiy Gongadze on 16 April 2000 (the day of the Ukrainian constitutional referendum). Published mainly in Ukrainian with selected articles published in or translated to Russian and English, the newspaper is tailored for a general readership with emphasis on the hot issues of the politics of Ukraine. The Ukrainian government has at times reportedly exerted pressure on the publication to restrict access to information.
Type of site
|Created by||Georgiy Gongadze|
|Editor||Sevğil Musayeva-Borovyk (since 2014)|
|Launched||April 16, 2000|
|Current status||News-in media|
Along with Hromadske TV and Center UA (Center for United Action), Ukrayinska Pravda is part of the Kyiv MediaHub.
Initiatives and achievements
Staff and contributors of the Ukrayinska Pravda have pioneered many legal and research techniques aimed at advancing freedom of information in Ukraine, particularly those concerning the public spending, public procurement and offshore tax evasion. Staff journalists routinely participate in non-partisan public actions promoting democracy and press freedom in the country.
Offspring Web sites of the Ukrayinska Pravda project
Ukrayinska Pravda is also the umbrella site for the following more recent sister Web sites:
- Ukrayinska Pravda – Blohy ("Blogs") – selected bloggers
- Ekonomichna Pravda ("Economic Truth") – economy and business news and publications
- Istorychna Pravda ("Historical Truth") – non-news history magazine
- Ukrayinska Pravda – Kyiv – local news and articles on Kyiv
- Tablo ID – celebrity illustrated news site, paying significant attention to the public life of Ukrainian politicians and statesmen
- Yevropeiska Pravda ("European Truth") – international security and European integration in Ukraine
- Ukrayinska Pravda – Zhyttia ("Life") – social ezine
Editorial copyright disclaimers collectively describe these sites as the "Ukrayinska Pravda Internet Holding", not specifying the legal nature of the holding.
- 2000 Georgiy Gongadze, Olena Prytula (deputy)
- 2000–2014 Olena Prytula, Serhiy Leshchenko (deputy)
- 2014–present Sevğil Musayeva-Borovyk
- Georgiy Gongadze, co-founder and first editor of the Ukrayinska Pravda
- A 2005 cartoon from Ukrayinska Pravda
- Georgiy Gongadze / Myroslava Gongadze
- Cassette Scandal / Mykola Mel'nychenko
- Politics of Ukraine
- Pravda (disambiguation)
- Internet in Ukraine
- (in Ukrainian) Tomasz Fiala became the new owner of Ukrainska Pravda, Ukrayinska Pravda (26 May 2021)
- Koshiw, J. V. (2002). Beheaded: The Killing of a Journalist. Artemia Press. p. 63. ISBN 978-0-9543764-0-6.
- "Українська Гельсінська спілка з прав людини". helsinki.org.ua.
- JOURNALISTS BOYCOTT PROSECUTOR GENERAL'S OFFICE, Ukrayinska Pravda (December 5, 2002)
- Правила використання матеріалів сайтів Інтернет-холдингу "Українська правда", Часті запитання(in Ukrainian)
- Kramer, Andrew E. (20 July 2016). "Pavel Sheremet, Journalist in Ukraine, Is Killed in Car Bombing". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 July 2016.