We Demand a Referendum Now
We Demand a Referendum Now (WDARN) was a British political party launched by independent Member of the European Parliament (MEP) Nikki Sinclaire in June 2012 following her departure from the UK Independence Party (UKIP). It was a single-issue party that sought to force a referendum on British membership of the European Union (EU).
We Demand a Referendum Now was registered with the Electoral Commission in June 2012 by Nikki Sinclaire. The party held its inaugural conference on 5 October 2012.
The party ran a slate of candidates in the West Midlands European Parliament constituency for the 2014 European Parliament elections. It had originally announced plans to stand candidates in every British region. The party received 1.7% of the vote in the West Midlands, and did not win any seats.
We Demand a Referendum aimed to "go beyond party politics" and "do everything within [its] power to enable a referendum". Its leadership accused the EU of being protectionist and called for the creation of a Royal Commission to look into the costs and benefits of EU membership for the United Kingdom.
|Election year||# of total votes||% of overall vote||# of seats won||Rank|
0 / 73
- Nick Duffy (12 June 2015). "Katie Hopkins: NHS shouldn't pay for IVF for gay couples". Pink News. Retrieved 26 July 2015.
- "Nigel Farage: UKIP demands 'blood' guarantee over EU vote". BBC News. 21 September 2012.
the We Demand A Referendum Party [is] a single-issue party in favour of an in/out referendum on Britain's EU membership
- "We Demand a Referendum Now Party launches campaign". BBC News. 1 May 2014.
We have just one policy; to force a referendum on EU membership.
- "Nikki Sinclaire's We Demand a Referendum party holds first conference". This is Staffordshire. October 6, 2012. Archived from the original on May 5, 2013. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- "Revealed, all the West Midlands region candidates set to contest seats in European Parliament". Worcester News.
- "New EU referendum party holding first conference". BBC News. October 5, 2012.
Ms Sinclaire says We Demand a Referendum will stand candidates in every region in 2014's European elections unless Prime Minister David Cameron sets the date for a vote to decide whether or not the UK remains a member of the European Union.
- Sinclaire, N. (September 18, 2012). "New anti-EU political party launches in UK". Public Service Europe. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Nikki Sinclaire discusses We Demand A Referendum on BBC Radio Lincolnshire (Full text via YouTube.)