West Hertfordshire (UK Parliament constituency)
West Hertfordshire was a parliamentary constituency in Hertfordshire. It returned one Member of Parliament (MP) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom by the first past the post system. The constituency was abolished for the 1997 general election.
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Hemel Hempstead and South West Hertfordshire|
|Created from||Hemel Hempstead|
The constituency was created for the 1983 general election from the majority of the abolished County Constituency of Hemel Hempstead constituency. It was abolished for the 1997 general election, with Tring being transferred to South West Hertfordshire and the remaining areas forming the re-established constituency of Hemel Hempstead.
It was held by the Conservatives for the entire period of its existence.
The District of Dacorum wards of Adeyfield East, Adeyfield West, Aldbury and Wigginton, Ashridge, Bennetts End, Berkhamsted, Boxmoor, Central, Chaulden, Crabtree, Cupid Green, Flamstead and Markyate, Gadebridge, Grove Hill, Highfield, Leverstock Green, Nash Mills, South, Tring Central, Tring East, Tring West, and Warners End.
Members of Parliament
|1997||constituency abolished: see Hemel Hempstead & South West Hertfordshire
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Martin Trevett||10,464||16.2||−10.1|
|National Front||John McAuley||665||1.0||New|
|Natural Law||Guy Harvey||175||0.3||New|
Notes and references
- "'Hertfordshire West', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1983". legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 3)
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.