Westmorland (UK Parliament constituency)

Westmorland was a constituency covering the county of Westmorland in the North of England, which returned Members of Parliament to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom.

Westmorland
Former County constituency
for the House of Commons
Context: 1832–1868. Extract from 1837 result: the most central 'doubly' blue area
19181983
Number of membersone
Replaced byPenrith & The Border and Westmorland & Lonsdale
Created fromAppleby and Kendal
1290–1885
Number of memberstwo
Replaced byAppleby and Kendal

The constituency had two separate periods of existence.

Until 1885
It returned two Members of Parliament (MPs) to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. For the string of elections from 1885 general election it split in two: Appleby and Kendal, both of which had been parliamentary boroughs but were reconstituted as county constituencies.
1918–1983
The constituency was recreated as a single-seater for the 1918 general election and abolished for the 1983 general election.

In the boundary changes in 1983 the southern part of the constituency became part of the new seat of Westmorland and Lonsdale and the northern area was transferred to Penrith and The Border