Wikipedia:Responding to threats of harm
|This page documents an English Wikipedia behavioral guideline.|
1. Treat all claims seriously
- Many threats are empty, but leave that evaluation to Foundation staff.
- If you are in immediate danger, call your local emergency services.
2. Contact the Wikimedia Foundation
emergencywikimedia.org with details of the threat.
- This address is for threats of physical harm (including self-harm) only. For other concerns, see Wikipedia:Contact us.
- Or, if you have an account with email enabled, you can click here: Special:EmailUser/Emergency.
- Include the name of the page where the threat was made, or a diff.
- This address is monitored around the clock. Staff will typically acknowledge your email immediately. (Check your Junk folder.)
- Avoid emailing other addresses or telephoning the Wikimedia Foundation office, as this creates confusion.
- Staff will take appropriate action, such as tracing locations and contacting authorities.
3. Contact administrators
In addition to emailing the Wikimedia Foundation as above, notify Wikipedia administrators privately.
- Even if you are an administrator, notify other administrators.
- Use email, IRC, Discord, or other low-visibility methods, not high-traffic noticeboards or popular talk pages.
- If in doubt, the primary method is to join #wikipedia-en-revdel connect. Click the green connect button to launch web-based IRC.
Advice for administrators
- Threats of suicide or other self-harm require discretion on the questions of blocking or removal of posts.
- Threats against others should be met with blocking (generally including removal of talk page access) and possibly blocking email as well. Such threats should be blanked; consider applying revdel as well.
- Request oversight (suppression) of any post containing personal information.
- If in doubt, email the office at
emergencywikimedia.org; stay off of high-traffic noticeboards.