World Heritage Sites by country
As of July 2019, there are a total of 1,121 World Heritage Sites located in 167 States Parties (countries that have adhered to the World Heritage Convention, including the non-member state of the Holy See), of which 869 are cultural, 213 are natural and 39 are mixed properties. The countries have been divided by the World Heritage Committee into five geographic zones: Africa, Arab States, Asia and the Pacific, Europe and North America, and Latin America and the Caribbean. Italy and China have the highest number of World Heritage Sites, both with 55 entries. However, 29 state parties have no properties inscribed on the World Heritage List: Bahamas, Bhutan, Brunei, Burundi, Comoros, Cook Islands, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Kuwait, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Maldives, Monaco, Nauru, Niue, Rwanda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago and Tuvalu.
List of Countries with World Heritage Sites
|Country||Natural sites||Cultural sites||Mixed sites||Total sites||Shared sites||UNESCO region|
|Afghanistan||2||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Albania||1||2||1||4||2||Europe and North America|
|Andorra||1||1||Europe and North America|
|Antigua and Barbuda||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Argentina||5||6||11||3||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Armenia||2||1||3||Europe and North America|
|Australia||12||4||4||20||Asia and the Pacific|
|Austria||1||9||10||3||Europe and North America|
|Azerbaijan||3||3||Europe and North America|
|Bangladesh||1||2||3||Asia and the Pacific|
|Barbados||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Belarus||1||3||4||2||Europe and North America|
|Belgium||1||12||13||3||Europe and North America|
|Belize||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Bolivia||1||6||7||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||3||3||1||Europe and North America|
|Brazil||7||14||1||22||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Bulgaria||3||7||10||1||Europe and North America|
|Cambodia||3||3||Asia and the Pacific|
|Canada||10||9||1||20||2||Europe and North America|
|Central African Republic||2||2||1||Africa|
|Chile||6||6||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|China||14||37||4||55||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Colombia||2||6||1||9||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Costa Rica||3||1||4||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Croatia||2||8||10||3||Europe and North America|
|Cuba||2||7||9||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Cyprus||3||3||Europe and North America|
|Czech Republic||14||14||1||Europe and North America|
|Democratic People's Republic of Korea||2||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||5||5||Africa|
|Denmark||3||7||10||1||Europe and North America|
|Dominica||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Dominican Republic||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Ecuador||2||3||5||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|El Salvador||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Estonia||2||2||1||Europe and North America|
|Fiji||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Finland||1||6||7||2||Europe and North America|
|France||5||39||1||45||4||Europe, North America and Antarctica.|
|Georgia||3||3||Europe and North America|
|Germany||3||43||46||6||Europe and North America|
|Greece||16||2||18||Europe and North America|
|Guatemala||2||1||3||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Haiti||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Holy See/Vatican City||2||2||1||Europe and North America|
|Honduras||1||1||2||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Hungary||1||7||8||2||Europe and North America|
|Iceland||2||1||3||Europe and North America|
|India||7||30||1||38||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Indonesia||4||5||9||Asia and the Pacific|
|Iran||2||22||24||Asia and the Pacific|
|Ireland||2||2||Europe and North America|
|Israel||9||9||Europe and North America|
|Italy||5||50||55||6||Europe and North America|
|Jamaica||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Japan||4||19||23||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Jerusalem (Site proposed by Jordan)||1||1||without State Party|
|Kazakhstan||2||3||5||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Kiribati||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Kyrgyzstan||1||2||3||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Laos||3||3||Asia and the Pacific|
|Latvia||2||2||1||Europe and North America|
|Lithuania||4||4||2||Europe and North America|
|Luxembourg||1||1||Europe and North America|
|Malaysia||2||2||4||Asia and the Pacific|
|Malta||3||3||Europe and North America|
|Marshall Islands||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Mexico||6||27||2||35||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Moldova||1||1||1||Europe and North America|
|Micronesia||2||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Mongolia||2||3||5||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Montenegro||1||3||4||2||Europe and North America|
|Myanmar||2||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Nepal||2||2||4||Asia and the Pacific|
|Netherlands||1||9||10||1||Europe and North America|
|New Zealand||2||1||3||Asia and the Pacific|
|Nicaragua||2||2||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Norway||1||7||8||1||Europe and North America|
|North Macedonia||1||1||Europe and North America|
|Pakistan||6||6||Asia and the Pacific|
|Palau||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Panama||3||2||5||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Papua New Guinea||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Paraguay||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Peru||2||8||2||12||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Philippines||3||3||6||Asia and the Pacific|
|Poland||1||15||16||3||Europe and North America|
|Portugal||1||16||17||1||Europe and North America|
|Republic of Korea||1||13||14||Asia and the Pacific|
|Romania||2||6||8||1||Europe and North America|
|Russia||11||18||29||4||Europe and North America|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Saint Lucia||1||1||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|San Marino||1||1||Europe and North America|
|Saudi Arabia||5||5||Arab States|
|Serbia||5||5||1||Europe and North America|
|Singapore||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Slovakia||2||5||7||2||Europe and North America|
|Slovenia||2||2||4||3||Europe and North America|
|Solomon Islands||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Spain||4||42||2||48||4||Europe and North America|
|Sri Lanka||2||6||8||Asia and the Pacific|
|Suriname||1||1||2||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Sweden||1||13||1||15||2||Europe and North America|
|Switzerland||3||9||12||4||Europe and North America|
|Tajikistan||1||1||2||Asia and the Pacific|
|Thailand||2||3||5||Asia and the Pacific|
|Turkey||16||2||18||Europe and North America|
|Turkmenistan||3||3||Asia and the Pacific|
|Ukraine||1||6||7||3||Europe and North America|
|United Kingdom||4||27||1||32||1||Europe and North America|
|United States||12||11||1||24||2||Europe and North America|
|United Arab Emirates||1||1||Arab States|
|Uruguay||2||2||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Uzbekistan||1||4||5||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Vanuatu||1||1||Asia and the Pacific|
|Venezuela||1||2||3||Latin America and the Caribbean|
|Vietnam||2||5||1||8||Asia and the Pacific|
|(less Transboundary Sites)||14||18||2||34|
|Total||257||931||45||1233||115||167 State Parties|
Countries with major concentrations of World Heritage Sites
This overview lists countries with ten or more World Heritage Sites.
- Purple: countries with 50 or more heritage sites
- Brown: countries with 40 to 49 heritage sites
- Light brown: countries with 30 to 39 heritage sites
- Orange: countries with 20 to 29 heritage sites
- Blue: countries with 15 to 19 heritage sites
- Green: countries with 10 to 14 heritage sites
- Index of conservation articles
- List of World Heritage in Danger
- List of World Heritage Sites by year of inscription
- The natural site Ancient and Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe is shared between Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Germany, Italy, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Ukraine.
- The cultural site Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis: San Ignacio Mini, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto and Santa Maria Mayor (Argentina), Ruins of Sao Miguel das Missoes (Brazil) is shared between Argentina and Brazil.
- The cultural site The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, an Outstanding Contribution to the Modern Movement is shared between Argentina, Belgium, France, Germany, India, Japan, and Switzerland.
- The cultural site Qhapaq Ñan, Andean Road System is shared between Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador and Peru.
- The cultural site Fertö / Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape is shared between Austria and Hungary.
- The cultural site Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps is shared between Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Slovenia and Switzerland.
- The natural site Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Białowieża Forest is shared between Belarus and Poland.
- The cultural site Struve Geodetic Arc is shared among Belarus, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Moldova, Russia, Sweden, and Ukraine.
- The cultural site Belfries of Belgium and France is shared between Belgium and France.
- The natural site W-Arly-Pendjari Complex is shared between Benin, Burkina Faso, and Niger.
- The cultural site Stecci : Medivial Tombstones is shared between Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia.
- The natural site Sangha Trinational is shared between Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo( The Republic of).
- The natural sites Kluane / Wrangell-St Elias / Glacier Bay / Tatshenshini-Alsek and Waterton Glacier International Peace Park are shared between Canada and the United States.
- The cultural site Silk Roads: the Routes Network of Chang'an-Tianshan Corridor is shared between China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan.
- The natural site Talamanca Range-La Amistad Reserves / La Amistad National Park is shared between Costa Rica and Panama.
- The natural site Mount Nimba Strict Nature Reserve is shared between Côte d'Ivoire and Guinea.
- The cultural site Erzgebirge/Krušnohoří Mining Region is shared between Germany and Czechia.
- The natural site High Coast / Kvarken Archipelago is shared between Finland and Sweden.
- The natural site French Austral Lands and Seas is located in the Indian Ocean.
- The natural site Lagoons of New Caledonia: Reef Diversity and Associated Ecosystems is located in New Caledonia.
- The natural site Pitons, cirques and remparts of Reunion Island is located in the Réunion.
- The cultural site Taputapuatea is located in the French Polynesia.
- The mixed site Pyrénées – Mont Perdu is shared between France and Spain.
- The cultural site Stone Circles of Senegambia is shared between Gambia and Senegal.
- The natural site The Wadden Sea is shared between Germany and the Netherlands.
- The cultural site Frontiers of the Roman Empire is shared between Germany and the United Kingdom.
- The cultural site Muskauer Park / Park Mużakowski is shared between Germany and Poland.
- In addition, the former cultural site Dresden Elbe Valley has been delisted.
- The cultural site Historic Centre of Rome, the Properties of the Holy See in that City Enjoying Extraterritorial Rights and San Paolo Fuori le Mura is shared between the Holy See and Italy.
- The natural site Caves of Aggtelek Karst and Slovak Karst is shared between Hungary and Slovakia.
- The natural site Monte San Giorgio is shared between Italy and Switzerland.
- The cultural site Rhaetian Railway in the Albula / Bernina Landscapes is shared between Italy and Switzerland.
- "Old City of Jerusalem and its Walls" is listed separately, without State Party, owing to the unresolved nature of its status. For purposes of convenience, it is listed in the "Arab States" UNESCO region, without inference as to it legal or political status therein.
- The natural site Western Tien-Shan is shared between Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan.
- The mixed site Maloti-Drakensberg Park is shared between Lesotho and South Africa.
- The cultural site Curonian Spit is shared between Lithuania and Russia.
- The natural site Uvs Nuur Basin is shared between Mongolia and Russia.
- Kathmandu Valley has seven groups of monuments & buildings within its boundaries and are listed under one name. The seven groups are: the Durbar Squares of Kathmandu, Patan, and Bhaktapur, Buddhist Stupas of Swayambhunath and Boudhanath, and Hindu Temples of Pashupatinath and Changu Narayan, also there are places like muktinath, budanilkantha which are listed are world heritage site
- In addition, the former natural site Arabian Oryx Sanctuary has been delisted.
- The cultural site Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine is shared between Poland and Ukraine.
- The cultural site Prehistoric Rock-Art Sites in the Côa Valley and Siega Verde is shared between Portugal and Spain.
- The cultural site Heritage of Mercury. Almadén and Idrija is shared between Slovenia and Spain.
- The natural site Mosi-oa-Tunya / Victoria Falls is shared between Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Centre, UNESCO World Heritage. "UNESCO World Heritage Centre – World Heritage List". UNESCO. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- Centre, UNESCO World Heritage. "Italy – UNESCO World Heritage Centre". UNESCO. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- UNESCO World Heritage Centre. "World Heritage List Statistics". unesco.org. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011.
- Centre, UNESCO World Heritage. "UNESCO World Heritage Centre – World Heritage List (transboundary)". UNESCO. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- According to UNESCO report, Israel is part of Europe and North America Region,
- "CLT-82/CH/CONF.015/8 – Report of the 1st Extraordinary Session of the Committee". UNESCO. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "CC-81/CONF. 008/2 Rev. - Justification for inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger, 1982: Report of the 6th Session of the Committee". UNESCO. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Centre, UNESCO World Heritage. "Poland – UNESCO World Heritage Centre". UNESCO. Retrieved 29 September 2017.